Hiking Strap Repair

Afterburned

I've got an old Sunfish (I've looked for a year or serial # and have yet to find it) and as I was sailing it, I hooked my feet under the hiking strap, and leaned out. One of the screw holding the bracket on the front of the hiking strap pulled free of it's threads, and both I and the hiking strap went overboard.

I tried screwing it back in, but the threads in the hull are completely gone.

I'd love to find some way to repair it in such a way that "restores" it, so I could still unscrew the bracket if I ever want to replace the hiking strap. I could just fill the hole with epoxy and stick the screw back in, but I would be unsure of it's strength, and I'd never be able to take it out again.

Ideas?

You will need to install a backing plate. And to do that, you will need an access port. Maybe your hull already has one in an appropriate location?
Please report back to us for further advice, if needed.

Unfortunately no luck on the access port. How hard is it to install one? I'm an engineer by trade (electrical unfortunately, nothing more useful), so I have some handiness about me.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have seen pics here of the hiking strap attached high in the front, at the hook. Then you could bolt it or if you have a ratchet block, maybe attach it there.
My boat is all stock right now, but would think the strap needs to be installed.

Unfortunately no luck on the access port. How hard is it to install one? I'm an engineer by trade (electrical unfortunately, nothing more useful), so I have some handiness about me.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Inspection ports are easy to install. Here's a good starting point:
http://www.sunfishforum.com/content.php?pg=faq#How do I install hiking strap

Here is even more specific info:
http://windline.net/iport.htm

The first choice you will have to make is the location. Most people put one right in front of the daggerboard slot. Just make sure that you will be able to reach the cockpit wall from the inside.

One can also put the port in the front wall of the cockpit, next to the attachment point for the strap. Here's an example (first picture in the thread):
http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=33570 .
Access for the job you want to do is really good, obviously.

My boat is set up so no port is needed. I have an eyestrap on top of my deck that my harken mounts to. Under the deck there is an upside down eyestrap on the same pair of screws. I tie the front of the strap to that. Works great and no port needed. Chris

Cool idea, Chris. I haven't seen that before. I like the strap up high, too. Lets you use it in light air as a bench for the knees, if pulled tight.

My boat is set up so no port is needed. I have an eyestrap on top of my deck that my Harken block mounts to. Under the deck there is an upside down eyestrap on the same pair of screws. I tie the front of the strap to that. Works great and no port needed. Chris

Smart indeed!

:)

Back