Ideal tiller extension length?

matty

Checked the FAQ list, but couldn't find suggestions........I'm getting rid of the old style wooden 24" tiller extension and engineering a u-joint (omniflex???) extension from an old graphite golf club shaft. Based on catalog info, the later Sunfish models are 33" (standard?) and 36" (racing?). Any suggestions from the forum? I'm not really one for hiking out for extended periods (out of shape!) but do like heavy wind!
Thanks in advance!

I think either length would be fine. Seen some of the pros - such as David Loring - using really long (48") tiller extensions but the rule of thumb is to have a tiller extension sufficiently long as to reach to the deck mounted mainsheet block. I'd recommend trying the 36" one first and if you don't like it you can always shorten it to 33" or less. Much more difficult to lengthen once you've cut off too short!:D

I second AQBill's advice.
The 'proper' length is a personal matter and depends on the length of your body and arms and how much hiking you do.
I 'need' a 36" extension only in high winds when racing because I need to sit upfront (hiking hard, going upwind) and my arms are a bit short.
You may have to get used to a longer extension though, because your tacking process may have to be altered (passing the 'stick' behind your back won't be quite the same).

Back