Redoing Mainsheet Rigging

sss368

So I'm redoing my mainsheet rigging this weekend, at least what's on the deck. I'm going with a Harken 241 cam cleat + a Harken 205 ratchet block, assembled like in the attached picture. I'd like to avoid cleating when I don't have to, and the Harken 241 seems like it puts the cam cleat at a lower angle, making it harder to accidentally cleat, or at least easier to avoid the temptation to cleat! A few questions, though...

1. I read in another topic you can even bend the arm on the 241 down some to reduce said temptation even more... Anyone done this? how?

2. Do I need a backing plate for the H241? Should I use anything to seal it? Want to make sure I do this right... I'm guessing bolts/washers/nuts are the fasteners I should use..

Thanks guys!

Spencer

Attachments

• Assembly.jpg
    Assembly.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 70
I don't have any answers, but am definitely hoping for you to get some - I'm hoping to do the same upgrade myself. I also plan to get the Harken 241 base, but wasn't specifically going to bend it. Are you sure the old post mentioned bending that one? I thought it maybe said to bend down the 205 if you prefer that style... maybe I'm remembering wrong, though. It seems like the 241 would be low enough, particularly if you used the stand-up spring (like your picture showed), so that accidental cleating wouldn't really be that feasible.

I was curious, though, what block are you getting? I was planning to get the Harken 2135 (57mm carbo ratchet block - link to West Marine).

6840557.jpg

tag

I meant to write 2135! I think the 205 is a different style cam cleat... Oops! Getting that same block tho. Let's hope for some replies!

Maybe it's good for the record to indicate why you choose the set-up shown in the picture.
Virtually all Sunfishers I have met (mostly racers) just use a ratchet block.

PS: There are numerous threads on ratchet blocks (use the Search function).

So I went to West Marine today. I picked up a Harken 2135 and the WM guy and I tried to find an eye strap that would fit the Harken 241 so I could use them in tandem. Much to my dismay, we couldn't find one. Has anyone tried this, and perhaps know of an eye strap that fits the Harken 241 perfectly?

Spence

Also,

Tag: If you haven't looked through this thread, you should:
http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=28892&highlight=cleat

wavedancer: sorry that last post was from my phone, couldn't type much. basically I only sail recreationally, and in light wind as often as stiff breezes. for those less gusty days I wouldn't mind the option to cleat off while I grab a beer, or prepare nachos (kidding). In my experience so far, I've just found that it would be nice to be able to cleat for a few seconds to free up the hand that's not on the tilller.

Because the harken 241 allows for a fairly low profile, it seems like an option that would minimize the temptation to cleat when I don't need to.

sss368 - thanks for the link to that other thread. I have seen it before, but I re-read most of it today. did the harken 241 come with it's own fasteners, or do you have to buy those separately?

wavedancer - I agree with what sss368 said: I am mostly recreational, and have never actually raced my sunfish. At times, I think it's nice to have the option to cleat.

I often would like to take my 8yr old son with me. I usually have him sit in the forward part of the cockpit, right near where the block would sit, and instead of constantly moving the line around to miss him, I find it nice to be able to cleat the line, and adjust things with the tiller. Probably not ideal, but it works.

For the future, sure I'd like to get more practice without the option to cleat, and I'm sure it's important for racing to optimize things, and in heavy winds to prevent accidental tipping. But for recreational, I can't see many reasons why not.

tag

My solution . . .

Readily accessible in light air...,

impossible to accidentally cleat once the wind picks up.​

Attachments

• Solution.JPG
    Solution.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 67
For those, like sss368 and tag, who really want the option to cleat, one can install c(l)amcleats on the side deck. This is the 'old-fashioned' way, seen on a fair number of fish.

Wayne that's an idea I'm starting to consider, but I would like to see if this method can work first.

Wavedancer, I've considered that method, but if it's between one camcleat in the cockpit and two on the deck, I think i'd rather the former.. less hardware.

I've got Hamilton Marine looking for an saddle/eyestrap that's 1" from fastener eye to fastener eye, and hopefully they'll find one and I can put this thing together.

looking for an saddle/eyestrap that's 1" from fastener eye to fastener eye...
Fairly common dimension..., the Schaefer p/n 78-65, for example.

78-65.jpg
http://schaeferhardware.com//detail.aspx?ID=899

Eye Width 9/32" (11 mm), Eye Height 9/32" (10 mm), L 1-7/16" (37 mm), W 1/4" (8 mm),
Fasteners (2), #10 RH (5 mm), C/C 1" (25 mm), SWL 400 lbs. (181 kg), Weight .5 oz. (14 g) ... $3.15

If all else fails, give Schaefer a call, they'll tell you which suppliers stock that part.

So I'm redoing my mainsheet rigging this weekend, at least what's on the deck. I'm going with a Harken 241 cam cleat + a Harken 205 ratchet block, assembled like in the attached picture. I'd like to avoid cleating when I don't have to, and the Harken 241 seems like it puts the cam cleat at a lower angle, making it harder to accidentally cleat, or at least easier to avoid the temptation to cleat! A few questions, though...

1. I read in another topic you can even bend the arm on the 241 down some to reduce said temptation even more... Anyone done this? how?

2. Do I need a backing plate for the H241? Should I use anything to seal it? Want to make sure I do this right... I'm guessing bolts/washers/nuts are the fasteners I should use..

Thanks guys!

Spencer

I think you read my comment on bending it down. Mine was bolted it in place. I just pushed down on the end with even pressure--it will bend.

For backing I used three washers and three locknuts. The fiberglass is pretty strong on the lip there.

Back