Two boats - one SF trailer?

ericd98

Greetings SFers:

Does anyone have pictures or drawings of a SF trailer that has been rigged to carry 2 SF and sails?

Any help would be great.
Thx Eric

This is the double-trailer setup that I have used. I just quickly made a jig out of 2x4 and 2x6 material, and used some pipe insulation as padding where it contact the deck of the 2 boats (Sunfish below, Super Porpoise on top). I will probably modify it for future use, but it worked really well for transporting both of them. The single trailer then is really easy to use with just one of the boats.

The previous owner had made a nice jig out of wood - shaped like a "Y" sort-of, that slides into the daggerboard trunk, and holds the sails/spars. He also had another bracket mounted at the front, but I made my own quickly to raise the height to work with the double-stacked Fish. They are interchangeable, though, so I can switch back to his bracket when I transport just the 1 Fish.

25gaydx.jpg

I crudely cut a curve into the 2x6 to match the profile of the Sunfish deck. I notice that I didn't do it for the top of the 2x6 for the Super Porpoise - probably ran out of time, and didn't care quite as much about the Super Porpoise (I only paid $50 for it, and it's in a little rougher shape).

4rav15.jpg

I added a 2x4 diagonal brace at the 2 front corners, just to stiffen it up some, keep the thing all squared up, and keep the frame from racking and pulling out the screws at the corners.

2wo8xso.jpg

tag

I like the look! Is your trailer for small boats like a Sunfish (what brand) or is it a "normal" boat trailer? What is the weight of the Porpoise? Are you worried about the hull of the Sunfish when you hit a bump at 60 mph? I want to be able to transport my 2 boats hundred of miles.

I like the look! Is your trailer for small boats like a Sunfish (what brand) or is it a "normal" boat trailer? What is the weight of the Porpoise? Are you worried about the hull of the Sunfish when you hit a bump at 60 mph? I want to be able to transport my 2 boats hundred of miles.

The trailer is NOT Sunfish-specific. It is a Shore-Lander by Midwest Industries (from 1976!), and it came with my Sunfish when I bought it.

Um, I guess I didn't think of the Sunfish hull taking the extra load at the time. The Super Porpoise is supposed to be slightly heavier than the Sunfish, maybe 150lbs or so. I transported them maybe 50 miles to a campground and 50 miles back.

It might be a good idea to run a vertical support down to the trailer to take the load from the upper 'Fish.

tag

Back