custom RSS feeds for craigslist

tag

my2fish
Okay, so maybe this is old news, but I just figured out how to do it. I use Google Reader, but any RSS feed reader would do the trick. I set up a custom search at craigslist, and then use an RSS feed to just send the new listings to my RSS reader.

First, go to your local craigslist, and select "boats". Then, at the search line, I just entered the word "sail" - I figure if I was too specific with "Sunfish", I might miss some of the times people list a Sunfish or Sunfish clone, and don't realize what they have (I've seen it several times). So I'll get a lot of extra listings that way, but it's pretty easy to browse through the listings in the reader program. After you've entered the search term of choice, and clicked "search", scroll to the way bottom of the results, and there at the bottom right corner is the little RSS feed symbol, shown below:
rsssymbol-main_Full.jpg

This will then set up a custom search that will continue to automatically update you with future craigslist postings under your custom search terms. I then set up a similar custom search for several of the local communities as well - so in about 15 minutes of setting these up, I will now get updated listings for most of the state of Michigan, without having to visit each local craigslist, and browsing the listings on that site.

I'm not even specifically in the market, but after seeing the post about a free Sunfish in Chicago the other day, I figured it might be nice to keep tabs on listings, and maybe if I'm paying attention, I can get a good deal on one in better condition, or good deals on parts.

tag

groovy..

i tend to check for the words " sailboat, sunfish, sail boat" daily on that site..

thanks!

i love cl

Back