buying cordage

jeatonx1

what line do you guys recommend for the rigging for the fish and what supplier would you check out..

thanks in advance.

From the pdf on Yahoo (std, not race):
Mainsheet: 30'-35', 8mm, low stretch
Halyard: 25', 5mm, very low stretch
outhaul/uphaul(?): 4', 3mm, very low stretch
centerboard retainer: 9', 6mm, shock cord

For local, I go to West Marine. For mailorder, either the companies who advertise on this site, or Jamestown Distributors.

I like to color coordinate my ropes. I use solid colors for sheets and white with colored flecks for halyards. Jib Red, Main Blue, Spinnaker Green. On my Sunfish, each boat is a different color.

The length are so short you can chose whatever cool color combination you like for sheets or halyard.

I like to go a little thicker on the mainsheet than typical.

One options is to strip the cover off from the part running through the boom blocks. Smaller line runs easier. Tuck the end of the cover inside the core, or whip it.

To answer your question, you can do it cheaper picking up your own line, but you have to hunt around a bit. Go to more than one chandler.

I wouldn't get too bogged down doing price comparisons for the small amount of cordage you'll need for a Sunfish. I'd rather buy local than save 50 cents ordering from some catalogue. If you are shopping to out fit a Sunfish remember that the only lines you will be using during sailing are your mainsheet, outhaul and cunningham, you may want to differentiate on the outhaul and cunningham lines, but you will never confuse the mainsheet for anything else.

Morning,

If you don't have a local shop that you feel comfortable with, Annapolis Performance Sailing is an excellant resource.

I just replaced all the running rigging on my old 5.2 Harpoon, all ordered from APS. Their staff is very helpfull, and every order I've placed with them over the last 2 years has either arrived at my door step on time, or before the promised delivery time.:D

Granted, or Sunfish only has a few lines, but it's nice to have the option of the exact line, exact color you desire, all arrive at your door within a few days. And if your like me, there is always some other little tid bit that you end up getting at the same time.

Back