Rear storage compartment

Randy Ricchi

Does anyone use this? As is, if you flip the boat you'll lose what you have in there. Has anyone rigged strapping or webbing to keep things secure? What do you store in your compartment?

The storage compartment is pretty useful. I store my paddle (attached with hook and loop fabric), water, lunch bag and sponge in there, among others. Also race instructions.

I have capsized many times, and I usually find everything back after a swim. Note that I wrote "usually".

I'm thinking there should be an easy way to attach some sort of webbing that could stretch across the opening, with velcro on one side for easy opening.

As Homer once told Bart, "if it isn't easy, it's not worth doing" ;)

What do you store in your compartment?
My hiking strap fasteners have an eyestrap as their backing. I stow a river runner's dry bag in mine and use a small "D" ring carabineer to clip it in. In the bag (when it's not in a dry pouch in a PFD pocket) is my boat permit and driver's license (required to be with the operator here), maybe my cell, snack food bars, a piece of line for emergency repairs, a bit of sail tape, before the waterproof iPod came along - a radio..., occasionally a windbreaker, some other odd & ends I can't recall at the moment..., maybe a good cigar for those hot & buggy days. I also have a net bag for sandels, booties, gloves, and even a Farmer John when the weather is marginal. Oh, and a sponge on a tether for bailing out those last puddles and general deck swabbing after a mud-bottom launch.

What's in your "wallet" ?

... other boats I've sailed have a mesh jersey cover on some lazzerette cubbys with a strong shock cord top hem to keep stuff from wandering no matter the boat's attitude.

One solution for this is to buy a new car;).
okay you dont need to buy a new one just find one of those cargo nets that come with them to keep the trunk organized. Those little nets that most people just dispose of make great tools to keep your stuff in place on and in the boat.

Back