Sunfish or Laser

Monk17

Hello and thanks for reading and hopefully responding to this thread. I plan to teach my daughter to sail a bit this summer and was wondering if there's a big difference between the Laser and the Sunfish. I suspect the Laser is a bit faster then the Sunfish but from a learning perspective is it just as easy to sail the laser? My daughter is ten and a good swimmer and handles a kayak well.

Thanks,

I'd suggest the Sunfish as the best choice for your daughter when learning how to sail. It is a great introductory boat, and rigging and sailing it will introduce her to basic concepts that will be used over and over again. It will be easy for her to right when she capsizes, and once she knows how to sail a Sunfish well, she can sail just about anything. I'll admit my bias--I learned to sail a Sunfish when I was about 10 and I just gave myself one for a birthday present over 30 years later. Have a great summer together!

I agree with Fun Fish. A Sunfish is a much better choice for your particular scenario. Once she masters the principles, your daughter can step up to a Laser 4.7 or better, a Laser Radial. If she wishes, of course :).

Do you think she wants to race with this boat (which ever one you get)?

I would check into the racing if she does want to now and see what available in your area, if that matters.

Both boats would be a good choice, the Sunfish more for fun sailing than the Laser.

FYI - I bought my two sons a sunfish each, so we could spar....when they are older we might get lasers if they are into sailing..if not the sunfish are still there for fun trips to the lake.

-Erik

Of course current Sunfish world champ Paul Forrester screwed around with a lot of other classes, winning Olympic Gold/world championships, before "stepping up" to the Sunfish:)

Thanks for all the replies! I don't think racing is in her future, but you never know. I just want her to have an appreciation for sailing. You've all confirmed what I thought was true. So unless I get a really good deal on a Laser it will be a Sunfish.

Cheers!

Mike

Hello and thanks for reading and hopefully responding to this thread. I plan to teach my daughter to sail a bit this summer and was wondering if there's a big difference between the Laser and the Sunfish. I suspect the Laser is a bit faster then the Sunfish but from a learning perspective is it just as easy to sail the laser? My daughter is ten and a good swimmer and handles a kayak well.

Thanks,

The Sunfish is much more stable, has more storage, and much easier to rig and get underway. The Laser is better if you want to race, and it is tippier, harder to rig, and lacks the storage of a newer Sunfish.

Back