Maneuver To Counteract Capsizing

Starfish

Question for all the pros -

You know how you're sailing along and the boat is heeling to leeward......and then a big gust pops up and you feel like you're going to capsize. Okay, at that point, and I'm sure there's a variety of things one could do to prevent capsizing, but what is the best way to maintain control and stay upright?

I know to let out on the mainsheet a bit to maintain stability but which way would you want the stern of the boat to go.....to the windward side or leeward side?

Example:
Windward is port side (left) and the boat is leaning to starboard side (right).

Maybe there's other maneuvers that one could do to prevent capsizing?

The best way to keep from capsizing is to look to windward when you are going up wind for the darker patches, and those are the gusts. When you are about to hit one, let the sheet out a little bit, and after it has passed trim it in again. If you are just about to go over the last thing you can try to do is let the sheet out, and push the tiller away from you a little (bow will go tward the wind). You just have to keep an eye out for the puffs, and be able to react fast. Good luck!

The best way to keep from capsizing is to look to windward when you are going up wind for the darker patches, and those are the gusts. When you are about to hit one, let the sheet out a little bit, and after it has passed trim it in again. If you are just about to go over the last thing you can try to do is let the sheet out, and push the tiller away from you a little (bow will go tward the wind). You just have to keep an eye out for the puffs, and be able to react fast. Good luck!

Steve didn't mention to hike out as the puff is about to hit. When that won't do, let out the sheet a bit, or let go of it, if all else fails.
Hike, sheet out, trim in, that's what it's all about. Takes lots of practice.....

And remember, flat is fast!

To add if you do move the rudder it needs to make the boat go more head to wind. Turning the boat off the wind means MORE pressure on the sail and more likely to capsize.
You real fun will start when the boat wants to do a death roll off the wind. The top of the sail actually reverses and tries to put the boat over to windward. It really scary the first time that sail starts coming back over your head in a blow. You save it by lauching yourself to the leeward side of the boat.
I might suggest getting a copy of the "Sunfish Bible" available at the class site. You'll learn a lot from all the good info, stories, tips, etc in it.

Thanks guys for the input. As you’ve already guessed, I’m still fairly new to sailing and the boat (a Starfish) that I purchased back in February of this year. The rig I actually started learning to sail with during last summer was an inflatable boat that was almost impossible to heel or capsize but it helped me learn the basics and I was able to go pretty much where I wanted to go regardless of the wind conditions. That little boat really boosted my confidence in learning by myself and was a tremedous help in learning the different points of sail.

As you can imagine, a full blown sailboat like the Sunfish is a bit more to handle especially in heavier winds than the small rig I was sailing last summer. Light winds with light gusts are really a no brainer but in heavier winds it seems that every input (i.e. mainsheet & rudder) makes a huge difference especially in the spit seconds that you sometimes have to react in. One learns to “respect” the boat very quickly if you catch my meaning.

This past weekend I was sailing in heavier winds than I have been accustomed to previously and was confronted with counteracting capsizing more frequently. Although I came very close to “going swimming” only once there were several opportunities that I was able to divert actually capsizing……thank goodness! I was never really able to totally establish in my little mind which direction I needed to throw the rudder in the process of nearly capsizing because each time it just happened so fast. Letting the mainsheet out a bit was of course my first reaction but after that I just reacted as I reacted with the rudder direction. Obviously I had it worked out in my mind during those moments but reflecting back I’m getting a little confused and just wanted to establish which way the boat needs to go during this occurrence.

Ultimately, during the course of sailing in the heavier winds, it came to me to ride as close to the wind as possible and to try to just stay on that course without veering to far right or left until I was ready to change course. This seemed to work pretty well…..after I finally caught on to this fact…….

I’m sure that in time and with allot of practice all of this will become second nature. At least I hope so! One thing that I have learned is to not just jump out there when the winds are up too much and to be a little more selective at least until my skill level improves. The heavier winds definitely provide more thrills but I’m thinking it would pay off to be a bit on the conservative side for a while.

So…..to recap what you guys have said in regard to which direction the boat needs to point when confronted with nearly capsizing is to point the boat “towards” the wind a bit while letting out the mainsheet enough to counteract the roll…..right? I will also work on the “hike, sheet out, trim” as well that is suggested. The hiking part will be a challenge due to a handicap but I think that with practice and time that may not be as big a problem as I’m thinking.

Thanks for all the pointers. This really helps allot!

Back